Monday, September 30, 2013

Learning 3d Animation and Modeling


Throughout history different devices had been in use to create the illusion of motion or animation. Zoetrope a wheel like device with picture on it was invented in China in 180 A.D. Phenakistoscope, Flip books and then cameras began to show moving pictures. With invention of computer, computers begin to be used for animation.
Hummingbird (1967) a ten minute film was considered as the first computer generated animation film. From then on computers begin to be used for creating 2d and 3d animation. Toy Story (1995) was first feature length 3d animation movie. Then rest is the history with block buster movies such as Avatar, Shrek, Up etc grossing heavily at box offices. 3d Computer Generated Imagery or CGI is now being heavily used in not only Hollywood but throughout the world.
I began my journey of learning animation and modeling. For your convenience I have enumerated my journey.
1. I got a trial version of the 3d animation software and began tinkering. In the beginning I did not know even a bit about this software. I and my brother keep fiddling with buttons in the interface. Through this trial and error we would discover new things each day.
2. Then when we got some basic knowledge of the software and we began making things given in the help menu. Slowly and gradually our skills were getting polished.
3. Almost 1 to 2 years passed in this tinkering. My brother realized he could not go further so he gave up but I kept trying, learning one thing after another. I downloaded learning material and tutorials from the internet.


4. After when I got enough experience I begin to spread the word about animation (at that time no one knew about 3d animation). I showed them my work and they were impressed.
5. People begin to contact me for making modeling and animation. At the same time I began teaching animation. This journey took me almost 9 years.
The journey had not been easy. I face several problems. When my siblings and friends enjoyed watching TV, movies and hanging out, I would sit next to the computer watching video tutorials. Art and all its form require passion and dedication. Without passion you can learn to draw lines and circles but you cannot breathe life into your artwork. Creativity cannot be achieved pain. This journey has been a labor of love for me.
Now I have got decent portfolio. I hope to break into the professional industry in the professional way soon, God willing. That is my story of learning animation at my own. As someone said, God helps those who help themselves. If you have passion, then decide wholeheartedly once to learn this unique art of storytelling. Lucrative business is waiting for you with endless opportunities; the only condition is that you must have Passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment